PD Dr. Michael Ohl
Museum für Naturkunde
Leibniz Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity Science
Phone +49 (0)30 2093 8507
Fax +49 (0)30 2093 8868
- Curator for Neuropterida, Orthopteroidea and Sphecidae (apoid wasps)
- Deputy Head of Science Program Collections Development and Biodiversity Discovery
- Head of Entomological Collections
- Lecturer (Privatdozent) at the Humboldt University Berlin
My research focus is on the taxonomy, phylogeny, and evolution of holometabolous insects, with special emphasis on Hymenoptera and Neuropterida. I am particularly interested in the global taxonomy and phylogeny of the highly diverse apoid wasps within the aculeate Hymenoptera. Another focus is on the taxonomy and phylogeny of the Mantispidae, a relatively small but weakly studied group of neuropterid insects.
As a conceptual framework of my empirical studies, I am also interested in the theoretical and methodological foundation of biological systematics, with special emphasis on taxonomy, and in the history of biology.
- “The sting apparatus of aculeate Hymenoptera – Morphology, Evolution and significance for reproductive strategies“ (DFG project OH 81/5; 2005-2011)
- “Morphology of antennae and antennal sensillae of aculeate Hymenoptera and its phylogenetic significance” (DFG project OH 81/6; since 2009).
Field, J., Ohl, M., Kennedy, M. (2011): A molecular phylogeny for digger wasps in the tribe Ammophilini (Hymenoptera, Apoidea, Sphecidae). – Systematic Entomology 36: 732-740.
Ohl, M. (2011): Aboard a spider – A complex developmental strategy fossilized in amber. – Naturwissenschaften 98: 453-456.
Nemkov, P.G., Ohl, M. (2011): A cladistic analysis and reclassification of the Bembicini (Hymenoptera: Crabronidae: Bembicinae). – Zootaxa 2801: 27-47.
Ohl, M., Spahn, P. (2010): A cladistic analysis of the cockroach wasps based on morphological data (Hymenoptera: Ampulicidae). – Cladistics 26: 49-61.
Ohl, M. (2007): Principles of Taxonomy and Classification - Current procedures for naming and classifying organisms. Vol. 1. In: Henke, W, Tattersall, I: Handbook of Palaeoanthropology. 3 vol. Springer Verlag. p. 141-166.